Any undergraduate student who needs to interrupt his/her/their full- or part-time status for personal or medical reasons may petition for Continuous Enrollment Status (CES) with the Office of Academic Advising.

CES is an alternative to withdrawal, and is an appropriate option for students who intend to resume full- or part-time status after one or two semesters, and who do not have any unresolved disciplinary issues with the university.  Students who take CES for medical or personal reasons can maintain their email address, and are able to register for classes at the same time as their cohort during the semester of interruption.

CES may be approved for one or two consecutive full semesters. Students approved for Continuous Enrollment Status will not be required to apply for readmission, but must submit a request for resumption of full or part-time status (information on the “resumption of full- or part-time status” process can be found below).

A continuous enrollment fee of $100 per semester will be assessed.

Any student granted Continuous Enrollment Status who hopes to receive transfer consideration for work done elsewhere must first obtain pre-approval from the Office of the University Registrar. Students must then provide the Office of Academic Advising with a properly documented statement attesting to his or her good standing at the institution from which the transfer credit would come. Additionally, an official copy of the student’s transcript must be made available to the Office of the University Registrar at Wake Forest University.

International students in F-1 or J-1 visa status should contact Center for Immigration Services and Support (ISS) at or 336.758.3739 before petitioning for CES.

If CES is granted during an academic term for medical reasons, the student may request that no grades be recorded for that semester. Such requests require the formal support of either the Deacon Health or the University Counseling Center, and OAA must receive the aforesaid support by 5 P.M. EDT on the last day of full-term classes for that semester. The student’s standing in courses at the time of departure may be taken into consideration. The Committee on Academic Affairs has final authority on such requests.

For students whose change to Continuous Enrollment Status is based upon mental health needs, it will be understood that in order to resume full- or part-time status, there must be a demonstrated period of stability which indicates a readiness to return to their academic program of study as determined by the student’s provider(s). Each case is considered individually.

The student’s resumption of full- or part-time status is contingent upon a statement from appropriate medical authorities that the medical condition has been sufficiently addressed so that normal study can be resumed.

For more information on how to petition for Continuous Enrollment Status, please contact the Office of Academic Advising to meet with an academic counselor.

Resumption Procedures

Students seeking to resume active status after a period of Continuous Enrollment should request resumption of full- or part-time status.

The Committee on Academic Affairs oversees matters affecting students who have been granted Continuous Enrollment Status (CES). A student who has been granted CES for medical (including mental health) reasons must submit documentation from his or her physician or therapists to either the director of the Deacon Health or the director of the University Counseling Center attesting to his or her readiness to resume a full academic program. The physician or therapist should also provide professional guidance to these directors as to the nature of the student’s ongoing care once a resumption of full- or part-time status has been approved.

Students who have left the University for mental health reasons should review this website and provide the included documentation to their licensed mental health provider to complete and return to the University Counseling Center.

Students who have left the University for medical health reasons should review and complete the following forms and return to Deacon Health:

International students in F-1 or J-1 visa status must allow a minimum of 60 days from the date of resumption of full- or part-time status to return to WFU. This will allow adequate time to re-issue a new I-20 and apply for a new F-1 or J-1 visa. Students should contact Center for Immigration Services and Support (ISS) at or 336.758.3739 upon approval for resumption to begin this process.

Should a student fail to comply with procedures and guidelines for CES, “holds” may be placed upon his or her record that will prevent consideration of readmission or resumption of full- or part-time status.

Although a resumption of full- or part-time status can normally be approved (subject to medical or psychological approvals as described here), any request for resumption of full- or part-time status to the University may be denied if a student has violated any laws or regulations or has engaged in conduct or exhibited behaviors that have demonstrated a disregard for the rights of others.

Deadlines for Resumption Application:

For Fall Enrollment – August 1
For Spring Enrollment – December 1
For Summer Enrollment – April 15

Via Email to:

Please note: When our office receives your application, you may be contacted for additional information. Once a decision is made, you will be contacted via email and provided with further instructions.

Download fillable PDF, read thoroughly the instructions, and EMAIL the completed PDF along with your personal statement to