Situations may arise in which a student believes that he or she has not received fair treatment by a representative of the University or has a complaint about the performance, actions, or inaction of the staff or faculty affecting a student. There are mechanisms in place for the reporting and resolution of complaints regarding specific types of concern (student conduct, honor system, bias, grade dispute, harassment, and discrimination).  For details regarding the complaint process please refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin (search “Student Complaints”).

As the Bulletin states, the first step in resolving an academic complaint is to speak directly with the instructor and/or the chair of the department.  However, undergraduates who would like advice about an academic concern or complaint are encouraged to contact their academic advisor or the Office of Academic Advising.  The academic advisors or OAA staff can serve as a sounding board and offer guidance for communicating sensitive issues.