Foreign Language Alternative

A student who may have a significant problem learning a foreign language at the college level due to a language-based learning disability may apply for the foreign language alternative to replace the basic foreign language requirement for graduation. Documentation guidelines for verification are on the Learning Assistance Center & Disability Services’ website.

A member of the Learning Assistance Center & Disability Services’ staff will review the documentation provided by the student; and, if the documentation is sufficient to support a Foreign Language Alternative, they will write a letter to the Committee on Academic Affairs (CAA) in support of the student’s request. 

The Office of Academic Advising considers the support letter and the student’s written request; and, if satisfied, grants the student an alternative series of classes to meet the requirement of gaining knowledge of the literature of another culture.  This is a key component of the liberal arts curriculum at Wake Forest University and a requirement that all Wake Forest undergraduates must meet.

Students are notified of acceptable foreign language alternative courses at the time of their approval.

The student must provide the Learning Assistance & Disability Services Center with one of the following:

  1. A psycho-educational evaluation diagnosing a language-based learning disability. 
  2. Current medical documentation of a severe speech disorder or severe hearing impairment.