Information for Students Experiencing Family or Medical Emergencies

It is always difficult to be ill, experience an injury, or learn that there has been a family emergency when you are away from home. The information below will provide you guidance on how to best deal with these stressful situations.

Family Emergencies

If you experience a family emergency such as the death of a family member or the serious injury or illness of a loved one, please contact the Office of Academic Advising as soon as possible. You should also contact your faculty members to let them know what has happened and how long you plan to be away from campus.  The University’s Office of the Chaplain is available to assist students dealing with these types of situations. The Office of Academic Advising is available to follow up with your faculty members after your initial contact to them to update them on your situation. We are also available if your situation may cause you to want to make adjustments to your academic schedule.

Seek Urgent Care

First and foremost, seek the medical care that you require. In cases of emergency, call Campus Police (336.758.5911) or 911. Students may seek medical assistance on campus at Student Health Services (336.758.5218) and the University Counseling Center (336.758.5218), but may also seek medical attention at local hospitals.

Communicate with the University

At the request of a student, Student Health Service, the University Counseling Center, and the Office of the Chaplain report to the Office of Academic Advising when a student experiences a medical emergency. The Office of Academic Advising will notify faculty members and their academic adviser to make them aware of the medical situation. Such notices are helpful to instructors as they determine appropriate accommodations.

Students can make this request in one of the following ways:

  • Through Student Health Service. Student Health can confirm the student’s medical situation and ask that the Office of Academic Advising alert faculty. Faculty often accept such notices as medical documentation. (Note that this is only in the case of medical emergencies. Student Health Service does not make notifications for routine matters.)
  • Through outside medical professionals (e.g. local hospital) contacting Student Health Service or the University’s Office of the Chaplain. Faculty often accept such notices as documentation of emergencies.
  • By calling the Office of Academic Advising (336.758.3320). This allows Academic Advising to contact your professors and adviser quickly, but does not serve as medical documentation.
Academic Advising is Here To Help

The Office of Academic Advising can assist students as they make academic decisions following a medical or family emergency. Please do not hesitate to contact Office of Academic Advising (336.758.3320) if you, or a student you care about, needs academic advice and assistance relating to such situations. While the Office of Academic Advising can communicate with your instructors about your medical situation, the instructor ultimately determines what accommodations are appropriate and whether absences are excused.