Continuous Enrollment Status and Resumption

If a student wishes to leave the University, there are two procedures under which a student may be able to do so:

  • Continuous Enrollment Status (personal or medical leave; information below)

Continuous Enrollment Status

An undergraduate student who needs to interrupt his/her full- or part-time status for personal or medical reasons may petition for continuous enrollment status with the Office of Academic Advising.

Continuous enrollment status can be approved for one or two semesters. Students approved for continuous enrollment status will not be required to apply for readmission, but must submit a notification of resumption of full or part-time status (information on the “resumption of full- or part-time status” process can be found on this page). A continuous enrollment fee of $100 per semester will be assessed.

In the case of change to continuous enrollment status granted during an academic term for medical reasons, the student may request that no grades be recorded for that semester. Such requests require the formal support of either the Student Health Service or the University Counseling Center, and the student’s standing in courses at the time of departure may be taken into consideration. The Committee on Academic Affairs has final authority on such requests.

For students whose change to continuous enrollment status is based upon mental health needs, it will be understood that a resumption of full- or part-time status generally can be accomplished no earlier than one semester or 90 days in the future depending upon the time of year in which the student is granted continuous enrollment status. In all such instances, the student’s resumption of full- or part-time status is contingent upon a statement from appropriate medical authorities that the medical condition has been sufficiently addressed so that normal study can be resumed.

Continuous Enrollment Status Request Form (PDF)

For more information on how to petition for Continuous Enrollment Status, please contact the Office of Academic Advising to meet with an academic counselor.

Resumption Procedures (Full- or Part-Time Status)

Students looking to resume active status after a period of Continuous Enrollment may request resumption of full- or part-time status.

The Committee on Academic Affairs oversees matters affecting students who have been granted continuous enrollment status. A student who has been granted continuous enrollment status for medical or psychological reasons must submit documentation from his or her physician or therapists to either the director of the Student Health Service or the director of the University Counseling Center attesting to his or her readiness to resume a full academic program. The physician or therapist should also provide professional guidance to these directors as to the nature of the student’s ongoing care once a resumption of full- or part-time status has been approved.

[Note: Students who have left the university for psychological reasons should review the following website and provide the included documentation to their licensed mental health provider to complete and return to the University Counseling Center: Documentation from the University Counseling Center]

Any student who has been granted continuous enrollment status and who hopes to receive transfer consideration for work done elsewhere must provide the University with a properly documented statement attesting to his or her good standing at the institution from which the transfer credit would come. Additionally, an official copy of the student’s transcript must be made available to the Office of the University Registrar.

Should a student, upon interruption of full or part-time status, fail to comply with procedures for a change to withdrawn or continuous enrollment status, “holds” may be placed upon his or her record that will prevent consideration of readmission or resumption of full- or part-time status.

Although a resumption of full- or part-time status can normally be approved (subject to medical or psychological approvals as described here), any request for resumption of full- or part-time status to the University may be denied if a student has violated any laws or regulations or has engaged in conduct or exhibited behaviors that have demonstrated a disregard for the rights of others.

Forms required for Resumption of Full- or Part-Time Status must be obtained from the Office of Academic Advising. Please read the instructions listed on the application and mail or fax the form to:

The Office of Academic Advising
Wake Forest University
P.O. Box 7225
Winston-Salem, NC 27109


Fax: (336) 758-4548

Once our office receives your application, you may be contacted for additional information. Once a decision is made, you will be contacted by mail and provided further instructions.

Deadlines for application for readmission are:

For Fall Enrollment – August 1
For Spring Enrollment – December 1
For Summer Enrollment- April 15